Monday, May 21, 2007

First day of student teaching...


Well I wouldn't necessarily call it teaching just yet. I am still figuring out my "time table" (when you see the "", it usually means it's the Aussie way of saying it.)

I observed the primary school today and they welcomed me with a nice little sign in the front entrance. Of course my name was spelled wrong (like it always it) but it was still a nice effort on their part. Ironic how they are also advertising a spelling bee. :-)

The kids were funny but I think they thought I was even funnier. They asked me to say words like "slurp" and "tornado" and then giggled when I said it. They think Americans sound "funny". It was fun for me to have the accent this time though so I played along and laughed with them.

I'll have more to report hopefully once I get a good feel for what I will be doing on a regular basis. For now, it's time for bed. Good night! (or should I say good morning?) ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I am so jealous!!!
That would fun to have an accent somewhere, hehe. Hope the trip over wasn't rough.
Talk to you soon.

Oh yea I'm buying the car for 13,500 and they just took it in and had $700 of maintenance done on it (oil job, roters, etc) so it is in perfect condition!

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Amy,
Your comment about students making fun of your accent reminds me of when I taught English at a high school in Paris. The students were used to hearing a British accent from their teacher. Once they heard me say "Yeah," instead of "Yes," they kept saying I had "l'accent chewing gum"! They thought I talked just like in old American movies they had seen.

I look forward to reading about the rest of your adventures. Don't forget the old-fashioned journal I gave you, too!

Take care,
Lydia

P.S. You have a nice smile in the first photo!

Anonymous said...

My,

It is good to hear that you are getting the full OZ experience which for me also included many a laugh at my accent! I was wondering if I could get your address over there so I could send you my newsletters and my HI MYs!

Love you.

Rach